Friday, February 17, 2012

Reaping What You Sow: Waiting Patiently for Flowers to Grow

I have heard it a million times, "You reap what you sow", but what I learned just recently is that there is a great patience involved, not only when it comes to sowing an abundant garden, but in cultivating healthy relationships and when raising healthy children, as well.

The Patient Gardener ~ With the help of my best friend and lover, I recently began the process of turning our backyard into a "Garden of Eden", a Place of Peace to be enjoyed by family and close friends. Fortunately, my father had laid the groundwork years ago by planting and nurturing so many fruit trees, plants, herbs and other goodies for the yard, like the ground pit for burning small fires. Unfortunately, with the exception of the first few months after he died in Spring 2010, I hadn't given much attention to anything in the yards. I barely watered the trees and plants and had the grass cut only every other month or so.

Last week we planted new lavender bushes along the back fence between two existing lavender bushes, all of different varieties. We also planted some wild flowers in a newly dug flowerbed around a large tree stump and a pygmy palm tree in honor of our fifth month anniversary. The week before last we planted a few herb seeds in some indoor pots. And every morning I wake up and draw back the curtain to give the indoor plants access to natural sunlight, hoping and wishing for a little bud of green life to pop its head out the dirt. A few days ago I was lucky enough to witness just that. Our first sprout was born.

My lover reminded me that even though that one strong seed did indeed sprout, I must wait patiently for the others and I should not get discouraged or think something is wrong if they all don't sprout overnight. Every day when I go out into the yard, I look to see if the new lavender bushes have emerged from the dirt, or if one little wild flower has broken through to reach out to the sun. I look for new growth on that pygmy palm tree and I envision the 4-foot tall tree that will one day be this small baby newly rooted in our soil.

The Patient Lover ~ After being single for  13 years I recently found myself lucky enough to be in a relationship. I began cultivating this love back in September and the past five months have been both an inspiration and a revelation. He inspired me to be a better me, and my inner soul has been revealed to me in the process. I am fortunate to have found someone to share my dreams with, and someone who has common goals and interests. I am learning to be patient in love and taking the time to appreciate all of the blessings this union affords. Knowing all the while that nothing that lasts is built too fast or too quick. Slowly building a solid foundation, and patiently waiting for the many more blessings this life has in store for us as a couple.

The Patient Grandparent ~ Seven month ago my daughter and her two toddlers, ages two and three, relocated to Los Angeles. It has been a great joy for me to be able to help my daughter by watching my grandchildren while she is at work. They are usually in my care from breakfast to bedtime, 5 or more days a week. Dealing with "the little people" requires great patience. Their demands are many and needs are plenty, but the rewards are incredibly fulfilling. The joy of an honest hug and kiss from a toddler, or a simple "I love you", just because, can bring the greatest joy to the soul.

As I said in the beginning, there is great patience involved when sowing a garden, a relationship, and when raising children, and what I have discovered is that the benefits we reap from all three are priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment